Wednesday, August 27, 2014

First Grade is Like a Roller Coaster

Several times this week on the drive home from school I've thought about how first grade is like a roller coaster. There are so many highs and lows in any given day that it can be dizzying at times. 

It is the most fun I've ever had at school and it is terrifying at the same time. I don't know if I'm doing it right and in the end I'm responsible for teaching these little kiddos how to read. Everybody put your hands up and scream!!! 

My sweet little first graders ride an emotional roller coaster. 

I love first grade. You are an awesome teacher. I want to stay in first grade forever. 

I need to be home. I want to go home. Is it time for snack? 

This is so much fun. Is it almost time to go home? Glue is so fun!

And it goes on and on. This has been my first experience with all these fluctuating emotions. I've just been soaking it all in and trying to help my firsties along the way! 

I ride an emotional roller coaster. 

I think I can do this, I've got this covered. 

I get up to teach and I realize that, even though I'm teaching number sense, I really didn't think this one through all the way and the lesson is a flop. Great. Need to rethink this one. Then I hear, "Mrs. Slemp, you're an awesome teacher." Maybe I can do this! 

Then there are those students who make bad choices. There are tears and hurt feelings. I hate that part. 

On the other hand, some make great choices that make me so proud of them! 

One day I am a focused planning machine. 

The next day my desk looks like this. Just like it did last Friday after school 


And I can't put together two coherent thoughts and I'm checking my email, looking on pinterest for ideas, and browsing TPT, all while juggling my teacher's edition in my lap and a sweet tea in my hand. This is my way of coping when I don't know what to do....do it all! haha 

This new experience has essentially put back in the place of a brand new teacher. Even though I've been at this for going on 9 years now, I'm in a new world now.

That's scary at times, but mostly exciting. I love that I'm in a profession where change, a drastic change, is possible. 

I am thankful that I am getting a chance to ride the first grade roller coaster with 21 awesome little people! I know I'm going to learn just as much as they are this year. 





2 comments:

  1. No kidding! First Grade is like a roller coaster! I'm exhausted after my first week, but loving my little class and can't wait for next week! Have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm feeling the exact same way. Nine years in fourth grade, but I feel like a new teacher now that I've moved to first. And there are some "ooh, okay, this is fun" moments, but also plenty of "I need to get out of here" moments. I hope you have a supportive first grade team; my teaching partner has been such a life saver. Don't be afraid to ask for help!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...