Wednesday, August 6, 2014

First Grade Open House 2014

Today was the first day of school!! I can't believe it! I had a fantastic day with my firsties and I have a whole post planned about first day activities, but tonight I wanted to share some pictures from our Open House on Monday Night. 


My welcome desk where parents signed in and picked up a piece of candy. 


I tired out the stations this year for open house and I really liked it. The first station was where parents picked that giant stack of forms to fill out! 


Choosing what they'll have for lunch on the first day. 


Parents helped us get some supplies sorted out and ready to go for the first day. 


The papers were straight on their desks, I just moved them around to hide the name tag for this picture! I had a coloring sheet for the kiddos and a little cheat sheet for parents about what goes inside the pencil pouch and desk. I also had sharpies available for parents to label supplies and that has saved me a ton of time! 


This station was such a big time saver! 


When it was all said and done I just picked up these baskets and moved them to our supply shelf - easy peasy! 


This station was a lifesaver because I already had all the dismissal information from my students before the first day! 

Can you tell I'm having a difficult time getting good pictures in my new room? Some places in the room are great and others are just crazy....maybe I'll get it all worked out!



My very last minute student gift - bouncy balls. What was I doing all summer?! Why didn't I at least have that done before Sunday night!! 

What I'll remember for next year: 

Have parents sort extra supplies first because that's what they all wanted to get rid of first. It was cumbersome to walk around the room with them. 

Move the folder/paperwork station to the far side of the room, away from the door. Picking up paperwork first stopped the flow of traffic, so I'm thinking I might move this to station 4 or 5 next time. 

How do you run Open House? 










3 comments:

  1. Hmmm....what a smart, organized, and efficient use of time that was! We don't have anything like that here. My kiddos don't even get a supply list until the 1st day of school. Then they kinda dribble in over the next 2 weeks. Some parents are better about getting them than others. And I always have to write their names on everything. Ugh!!! The class time this takes for a week or so! I like your way so much better!
    Glad you had a wonderful 1st day! Have a great rest of the week too. : )

    Ali
    Teaching Powered by Caffeine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the streamers on the table! So simple yet so adorable! Good luck with the start of your year :)
    Julie
    The Techie Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you were very organized! Glad your first day went well, and I hope you're enjoying the change!!

    Don't Let the Teacher Stay Up Late

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...